Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ranch House Has Good Food Without Vegas Attitude

There's no doubt we have some fantastic restaurants in Las Vegas. Places where the food melts in your mouth, and the service makes you feel like royalty. Places where you order food you've never heard of. Places where you don't blink an eye when the check is over $200.

But sometimes you just want a steak.

That's when I go to the Ranch House. You've got to be a stuck-up son of a bitch not to like this place. It's been around since the 50's and back then it was in the middle of nowhere. Nowadays it's tucked between a neighborhood in North Las Vegas and the 215 beltway.

I love this place because, well, it's not Vegas. I went there with a girlfriend the other night and felt overdressed in my jeans and high heels. The waitress even asked if we were celebrating because we were so dressed up.

Nope, this is a place where you can wear jeans and a t-shirt and let your gut hang out.

The dinning room has old wood paneling and pictures of John Wayne. If you go there during the holidays, Christmas lights will hang from the wooden beams of the ceiling. There are candles and white tablecloths, but you still feel like you can put your elbows on the table.

My friend had the special, a bacon wrapped filet topped with Bechamel sauce. I had the prime rib, seared on the grill at the suggestion of our waitress. Throw in some clam chowder, a twice stuffed potato, ranch potatos and chocolate cake for desert and we were stuffed. All the food was great - Not fancy restaurant on the strip great, but how you would make it at home great.

Add on a bottle of cab and our bill came to about $84. Not bad, considering it's Vegas.

The Ranch House has personality in a city that feels a little too trendy at times. It's old, it's classic, and it's comfortable. I've never had a bad time or a bad steak. And I'm sure if I didn't like my steak, they would just make me a new one. If you've haven't been, I recommend you check it out. I promise you'll like it, unless you're a stuck-up son of a bitch.

Bob Taylor's Original Ranch House
6250 Rio Vista St.
North Las Vegas, NV 89130

Reservations: (702) 645-1399

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Bob Taylor's! Good down home food. AYCE ribs on Tuesday... and very close to my house! Thanks for posting the classic Vegas restaurant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to my husband about this place...we've driven by lots of times and we were wondering if it was a good place to try. Sounds good - thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete