Saturday, July 24, 2010

Canned My Own Salsa, But Don't Think I'm Getting All Domestic On You

I know what you're thinking - Canning sounds so old fashioned. So grandma. So stay at home mom. So boring.

Well, I'm none of those things, but today I became a home canner. I made a small batch of salsa and now have three jars sitting in my pantry. I have to admit, there's something amazing about canning. I didn't have to buy a lot of expensive equipment. I didn't have to take classes or practice. I just took some fresh produce, a few glass jars and a pot of hot water and made something that can sit in my pantry for a year.

Anyone who is still holding on to the lamp they made in wood shop knows what I mean.

I enjoyed my first canning experience, but I'm certainly not going to turn my kitchen into a canning factory. It was a lot of work and I have a big mess to clean up. Even so, I definitely have the canning bug, and I'm already thinking about what I want to make next. Jam? Zucchini relish? Kimchi?

Does that make me domestic? No.
A food lover? Most definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment