Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Why We Chose Milwaukee For Our Summer Vacation (Hint: It's All About The Beer)

In August we're going on vacation to Milwaukee.

Yes, you heard right - Milwaukee. The land of Laverne and Shirley, Miller Brewing Company and Summerfest.  A lot of things draw me to this city - My old friends, the ball park, State Fair. But it's also the beer.

When I moved to Milwaukee back in 2004, I drank Coors Light. Hey, I'm from Southern California and the choices were Coors Light, Bud Light, Amstel Light and Heineken. Sure there were probably some craft beers on the shelf of my liquor store, but I didn't know anyone who drank them. There were no small breweries in my city. No trend. Just Coors Light.

But when I moved to Milwuakee, that changed. People returned favors with cases of Miller Lite. Supermarket shelves were stocked with beer I had never heard of. Friends drank beer that I had never tried. And yes, I became a born again beer drinker.

I toured the breweries and bought their beer. I tried pumpkin ales in the fall and summer ales in the spring. I embraced their beer culture and I'm so grateful I did.

While I still drink the occasional Coors Light, my fridge is usually stocked with beers that my California friends have never head of and never tried. I wish the supermarkets here in Las Vegas had more of a selection - Thank God we have Lee's Liquor.  

And in a few weeks, I'll be back in Milwaukee, shopping for beer like a kid in a candy store. If you want to find me, try starting at Sprecher Brewery. I'll be the one drinking the Black Bavarian. And who know, maybe I'll even tour the Miller brewing plant again. After all, it's all about the beer... even if some of that beer tastes like water :)

No comments:

Post a Comment