Sunday, July 18, 2010

Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes and Minty Fruit Salad


I made pancakes from scratch this week, and for the first time, I realize I love pancakes. It only took me 35 years.

I thought all pancakes tasted like the giant piles of mush served up at Denny's and IHOP or the tasteless Bisquick pancakes that I've made at home. Who knew that pancakes could have actual texture and flavor? Wild!

My 7-year-old and 11-year-old house guests drove me to it - For some odd reason, they didn't enjoy black coffee and toast every morning. So I dug out Martha's trusty cookbook and found a recipe for cornmeal pancakes. They were easy to make and delicious! So good, that I made a second batch for Sunday morning along with my favorite Minty Fruit Salad.

If you've never tried pancakes from scratch, I think you're missing out. Here's the recipe, adapted from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook. The Minty Fruit Salad is all mine. Enjoy! 

Pancakes 

2 cups of milk 
(I used 1 cup of whole milk and 1 cup of 2%)
5 tbs of butter 
(I know, but I haven't had time to experiment with margarine)
2 eggs

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cornmeal
1 tbs & 1 tsp baking powder
2 tbs sugar
3/4 tsp of kosher salt

Small package of fresh blueberries
Canola oil

On low heat, warm the milk and butter in a small sauce pan. When the butter is melted, remove from heat and let cool until milk is luke warm. Do this entire process first because it will take a while for the milk to cool down. Once the milk is luke warm, whisk in the two eggs. 

In a medium bowl, mix next five ingredients (flour through salt). Add milk mixture and whisk until moist. The batter may have small lumps. If you like, add blueberries.  

Heat skillet on medium and lightly coat with canola oil. I used my cast iron skillet and wiped off the extra oil with a paper towel. You really don't need a lot of oil. 

Pour about a 1/4 cup of pancake mix into pan. You should see air bubbles almost immediately. Flip after about 2 minutes, or when edges of pancakes begin to solidify. Cook on other side for about 1 minute and serve. 

Minty Fruit Salad

3 cups of seasonal fruit, chopped. I like strawberries, mango and kiwi, but I've also used grapefruit wedges, blueberries and honeydew melon. 

Whisk together the following and toss with fruit. 

3 tbs of orange juice
1 tbs lime juice
2 tbs honey
4 or 5 fresh mint leaves, chopped

Chill for 30 minutes or serve immediately. If you want to prep this ahead, make the fruit and the dressing separately then toss together before serving. 


2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I vote for these the next time we're together at your place!! Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 7 & 11 year old sound oddly like my 9 year old. And these look fab!

    ReplyDelete