Saturday, July 10, 2010

Found The Fukuburger Truck And I Liked It

I don't know if it's a new trend, or a trend I just discovered, but gormet food trucks seem to be the new thing in Las Vegas.

These aren't the trucks that wander construction sites, selling tacos and sodas to hungry workers. These trucks use twitter, blogging, and good ol' world of mouth to find their customers. They roam the streets in brightly colored trucks, stopping in parking lots, sending out tweets about their location.

The first truck that I really noticed is called Slidin' Thru. The guys sell sliders and fantastic sweet potato fries. If you're lucky enough to catch up with them on certain nights, you may even find yourself with french dip or pork bbq sliders. I have a hard time getting to these guys because they're only in my neighborhood on Sundays and that's the day I like to cook at home. But I have tried their stuff and it's really good.

There's also a new guy on the block. Fukuburger makes full sized burgers with a japanese twist. The guys are just getting started and haven't established a routine yet, but they've been hanging out in China Town which I love because it's right near my office. I talked to one of the owners and he said their goal is to feed the masses who work on the strip - Industry workers who only have a few choices when their late night shift is over.

When I found their truck this week, they had a good crowd of people hanging out on lawn chairs and listening to music coming from a car. It was definitely a laid back experience, although with temperatures near the triple digits, I decided to take my burger back to my air conditioned office.

I ordered the Tamago Burger which comes with a fried egg and crunchy onion strips. I love egg on just about everything and this was no different. After my first bite I had egg yolk smothering the meat and bread. Perfecto! The burger itself was medium rare and I was fine with that, but I know some people may want to ask for their meat to be cooked a little more.

Overall I love the concept. Good food without having to pay a bundle or sit down in a restaurant. At FukuBurger, burgers are $5 and fries are $2. At Slidin' Thru, you get three for $7, but can also buy one at a time for $3. And definitely get the sweet potato fries, which are also $3 (Thanks for the prices Justin).

If you have a couple bucks and see these trucks around town, they're definitely worth the stop. If anything, you may make some new friends.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, the Slider Truck's prices are 1 for $3, 2 for $5, or 3 for $7. A drink or fries is $2, and sweet potato fries are $3.

    The fact that I've memorized the prices tells me I should probably lay off for a while, lest I get fat and broke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction Justin - I think I kept ordering 1 for $3, because I couldn't make up my mind. And I hear ya on the fat and broke thing.. Ever since I started this blog, I seem to spend all my money on food :)

    ReplyDelete