Thursday, July 1, 2010

Keeping Basil Fresh: My Accidental Experiment

I would love to grow basil in my garden, but it's just too hot in my backyard.

So when I bought some fresh basil at a gardens market, I was really hoping to make it last. I had read somewhere that you should always keep basil in a vase of water, kinda like flowers. So I trimmed the stems and put my basil in a little glass vase on the kitchen counter.

Surprisingly it did great, and it was really nice to have some fresh basil at my fingertips. I just changed the water every couple of days, just like flowers.

About a week and a half later, I was cleaning out the fridge, when I realized I had put some of that same basil in my produce drawer (yes things stay hidden in my fridge for weeks).

So 10 days after I bought the fresh basil from the farmers market, here's what it looked like - Half was fresh and green. The other half not so much.



The basil in the vase lasted another three days or so, before I finally threw it out. Not bad, considering the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment