Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sweet And Spicy Red Pepper Gazpacho


I haven't blogged about food in weeks because frankly it's just too hot. Sweating over a hot stove or a flaming grill is not the summer look I'm going for.

When I hit the summer doldrums I always turn to my favorite cool-off recipe, Sweet and Spicy Red Pepper Gazpacho. I could eat the stuff by the bucket (and I do). The one thing I love about this soup is it's easy to make. I don't want to break a sweat chopping stuff all afternoon. Everything gets thrown in the food processor and you're done.

A quick note about gazpacho. If you've never tried it, stop thinking of it like cold tomato soup. Cold tomato soup sucks. Gazpacho is sweet and refreshing and can have a spicy kick.

This recipe came from a friend who got it from the Food Network. I have no idea if this is the original version. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
2 slices of white bread, crust removed, coarsely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, without the seeds, coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp sugar
8oz can of tomato sauce
28 oz can of stewed diced tomatoes
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 tbs of red wine vinegar
Salt
Cucumber, chopped (optional)
Red onion, chopped (optional)

Place bell peppers in a food processor and puree. Add next six ingredients, bread through stewed tomatoes, and puree until smooth. Add olive oil and vinegar and pulse until mixed well. Add salt to taste.

I like to top my soup with a little chopped cucumber and red onion to give it some crunch, but it's optional.  You can also add some chopped shrimp if you want to make it a meal.

1 comment: