Sunday, May 16, 2010

Put Your Hands Up and Step Away From the Recipe

I like to consider myself a control freak who is spontaneous. I start packing for vacations weeks in advance but think it's funny when the airline loses my luggage.

In the kitchen, I can nail a recipe. I can bake, saute, brown, and roast. I'm a control freak. But take that recipe away, and I'm all scrambled eggs and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Sure, I know how to grill a piece of chicken, and I can make some rice and steam some veggies. But what do I do with that leftover ricotta cheese? Or the can of garbanzo beans sitting in the pantry? Seriously, I have a can of garbanzo beans that I just stare at.

I need to be more spontaneous in the kitchen.

I need to be able to look in the cupboard and come up with a dish I've never made before. This week, I'm giving it a try. I recently came upon a blog called Married... with dinner and over the next couple of months, the writer will be showing people easy ways to get dinner on the table. During a quick discussion on pantry staples, she mentioned how she whipped up a dish called Melted Leeks and Quinoa with a Poached Farm Egg and Parmesan Broth.

Seriously? I could never even begin to come up with something like that. That's when I realized that I need to let my guard down. The reason I'm not coming up with dishes like that is because I'm not even trying.

So while I already have a few dishes planned out for this week, I'm also going to try and make some dinners that don't come with instructions. I think in the end, it will make me a better cook and I'll probably save time by not having to search for recipes. I'll be sure to share my successes and especially my failures.

As for that Melted Leeks thing... well I had to try it and it was excellent. But of course, I had to follow the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment