Sunday, June 23, 2013

The First Fresh Peas


This blog is a lot about firsts. First pesto. First grilled pizza. First fresh peas.

Sure I've had fresh peas in restaurants. Probably in some fancy shmancy place. But I've never bought fresh, still in a pod, peas. 

I didn't even mean to buy them this time. I was at the farmers market this morning and thought I was buying sugar snap peas (yes, seriously). I didn't realize my mistake until I got home and tried to "snap" into one. A few minutes later I found myself shelling peas on the kitchen counter. 

Now, before you think I'm out of touch, remember I grew up in the southwest. Peas came in two varieties, canned or frozen. 

So here I am with my shelled peas, and I figure this should be pretty easy. So of course I consult Google. The first website used canned peas. Gross. The second, third an fourth site explained how to turn fresh peas into a tart, sauce and some other dish fit for brunch at the Palace of Versailles. 

Finally, I found what I was looking for: Toss peas in boiling water for 1 minute and toss with salt and butter. 

Perfection. And another first is finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment