Friday, September 24, 2010

(Insert Flavor Here) Mac 'n Cheese

It's been one of the those weeks - My roots are showing, the gym membership card has been lost and the girl at the Wendy's drive-thru knows me by name. 

Yep, microwave the Cup-O-Noodle and eat the random cupcake that someone left in the break room at work. This week I'm the poster child for Who Give a Fuck. 

But I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel. My body must be tired of all the junk, because I was inspired this afternoon to spice up a box of mac 'n cheese (I'm sure many of you have tried the old tuna and peas trick). Today I turned my shameful lunch into Southwest Mac 'n Cheese. 

As the macaroni was cooking, I chopped up some red onion and red bell pepper and cooked them in a non-stick pan until just tender. I added a can of drained and rinsed black beans, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper and tossed until mixed. When the macaroni was ready, I added the fake cheese and my bean mixture. 

Sure it's not a healthy meal, but it's a first step. I actually made something that required more than a microwave. And even though it was just a bowl of mac 'n cheese, I feel like I'm on the road to recovery. 

Maybe this afternoon I'll even order a salad from Wendy's instead of a bowl of chili (Welcome back Amber, do you still want a frosty with that?). 

No comments:

Post a Comment