Friday, June 4, 2010

Food Failure: Veggie Burger with Marinated Onion

I was feeling pretty creative this afternoon so I decide to make a high class veggie burger. I toasted an english muffin and broiled some cotija cheese over thinly sliced tomatoes. I topped it with a Boca Burger and some wonderful marinated red onions that were leftover from chicken tacos.

It looked like something out of a magazine. Too bad it was the article on recipes that needed makeovers.

This is a classic example of one of my biggest flaws - I take food that is great separately and think it will take great together. The sandwich wasn't awful, but the marinated onions gave it a weird tangy taste. Something that you probably wouldn't expect from a high class veggie burger.

Oh well, I'll keep coming up with my masterpieces and one of these days something will hit the mark.

A quick note on those marinated red onions - They're awesome and I can't stop eating them. Here's the recipe from Cooking Light.


1/3 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sugar
1 medium red onion, sliced vertically

Mix first four ingredients in medium bowl.

Place sliced onion in sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then immediately drain and place in bowl of ice water. Drain again and place onions in juice mixture. Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment